10. The Scene: Hotel Chelsea, New York City
The Tragedy: Where Nancy Spungen, the girlfriend of Sex Pistols’ singer and guitarist Sid Vicious, was stabbed to death in 1978.
9. The Scene: September 18, 1970. 22 Lansdowne Crescent, Notting Hill, London.
The Tragedy: Where Jimi Hendrix died at the age of 27 at the former Samarkand Hotel. The cause of death is still blurry, but sleeping pills and a poem to his girlfriend led some to believe it was suicide.
8. The Scene: the 2012 iHeart Radio Festival, MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas.
Photo: Christopher Polk/Getty
The Meltdown: In 2012, just when the world was in need of an old-fashioned rock star meltdown, good old Billie Joe Armstrong went into an f-bomb dropping, gear-smashing episode after being flashed the 1-minute left to finish your set sign. He sought rehab and bounced back shortly after.
7. The Scene: March 9, 1997. Peterson Automotive Museum, Los Angeles
Photo: Hemmings Daily
The Tragedy: Where Biggie Smalls was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting.
6. The Scene: February 11, 2012. The Beverly Hilton, room 434
Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty
The Tragedy: Where Whitney Houston was found dead in the bathtub.
5. The Scene: Good Morning America dressing room.
The Meltdown: Chris Brown went into a flying rage after GMA host Robin Roberts asked about his domestic violence incident with Rihanna. BET reports that Brown was charged $2055.36 to replace the dressing room window he smashed with a chair following his interview and performance.
4. The Scene: September 2, 1974. Closing night, Las Vegas Hilton.
The Meltdown: Elvis loses control in a drugged-out rant about everything from conspiracy theories to karate.
3. The Scene: March 31, 1995. Corpus Christi, TX Days Inn, room 158.
The Tragedy: Where Selena was murdered by her former fan-club president.
2. The Scene: October 4, 1970. The Landmark Hotel, Los Angeles, room 105 (today, the Highland Gardens Hotel).
Photo: Eduardo Sousa
The Tragedy: Where Janis Joplin overdosed on heroin at age 27.
1. The Scene: December 8, 1980. The Dakota, New York City
Photo: Andrey Sulitskiy
The Tragedy: Where John Lennon was shot and killed by crazed fan Mark David Chapman.